Saturday, November 23, 2013

Spark Student Motivation Saturdays - Self-Assessements

Hello everyone!  This is Kim again, bringing you a way to motivate your students.  I am linking up with Head Over Heels Teaching for Spark Student Motivation Saturdays.


Several units ago, I created a self-assessment form to use after my students take major quizzes or tests.  I particularly like using these after a major quiz because it gives the student a very good idea of what they need to work on before the big test.  Realizing what their strengths are and that they may only have a few skills to work on to be proficient can be motivating for students.  Now that I have the form created, it takes just a few minutes to change out the topics for the next set of skills.  I have also included a section for them to write to their parents or guardians a reflection about how they did on the test.  I have had parents write notes back to me or better yet, to their own student!





The top picture is the back page of one of the self-assessments.  The students put check marks by all of the questions they got right in a particular area.  They then calculate the percent correct for that particular sub-section of the quiz or test.  Sometimes we take the time to work the percentages out by hand.  We also discuss the connection between common fractions and percentages.  In the bottom picture, we are using BYOT to speed up the process for that particular class period.

Taking the time to do the self-assessments has helped my students be more aware of their own learning.  I have had some students pull out the self-assessment from a quiz and show me that they improved on that area for the test.  The more I can get them aware of their own learning, the more they may care about their grades!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Kim

2 comments:

  1. I haven't used self-assessments this year :(. I used them last year, but it wasn't as thorough as yours. You have motivated me to have this year's students start reflecting after a quiz! It really makes this students have ownership of their learning! Thanks for sharing and linking up!
    Joanne
    Head Over Heels For Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea! I have tried something like this in the past, but your way is much better! Making students active participants in their learning is so important. I really like the self-reflection that is taking place.

    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete