Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Dear Journal......

About 3 years ago I started including journaling in my classroom.  I used it just during math and it was a HUGE success.  Last year, I had my students keep a math journal and a science/social studies journal.  I found it to be a great tool to assess my students on a daily basis (depending on the lesson) and to build writing skills.  This year I have continued journaling with my students.  Each student has a math journal and a science journal.   This is how it works:
When I write my lesson plans I include a journal entry for most lessons as the "summarizing" activity.  I then cut and paste these into one document, copy them, and cut them into strips.  This makes it VERY easy for students to manage and complete.  No copying from the board (that takes too much time)!

 I use math journals to introduce the vocabulary when beginning a new math unit.  Students fill in the blanks as I discuss the vocabulary they will be learning and using within the new unit. 
Journal entries include a summary question from the daily lesson and a daily word problem.  Students are asked to complete the journal entry as a ticket out the door on many occassions.  This is a great way for me to monitor areas of weakness as well as areas of strength. 


I have also used journal entries as part of my small group "station" rotation.  On ocassion we do not get to the journal entry during class.  I have included these "skipped" journals as part of small group stations.  I typically use 4 stations to review and reinforce previous taught skills while I work with students to introduce new skills, challenge higher achieving students, or provide intervention to struggling students.  I place journal entry strips in envelopes.  Students then know how many journal entries they must complete during that station rotation.  I typically put 2 or 3 strips, which is plenty to keep students busy.

During science, I use journals in a similar way.  Journal strips are not used during science simply because the entries typically consist of vocabulary or each student's understanding of a particular section of the unit.  Students record vocabulary from the unit.  They are given a word list and asked to find the word and definition in their science book.  Then students draw a picture of the word to help them better understand the meaning.

T-charts are another strategy used at the end of a science lesson.  Currently we are studying the different regions of Georgia and the plants and animals associated with each region.  This can be very overwhelming to students.  After a class discussion, research, and exploration of the region, I have students complete a t-chart listing the plants, animals, and characteristics of the discussed region.  I use the t-chart method throughout many of my science lessons and lab experiments.

Word webs are another strategy used by students in science journals.  As we discussed animal characteristics and classifications, I had students create word webs for each animal group.  These word webs were great references to use as we explored the different animal habitats throughout Georgia's regions.

For the most part, students enjoy journaling.  It gives them the satisfaction of knowing they have learned what has been taught, allows them to be creative, and helps students share ideas with the class.  I am always looking for fun and creative activities to add to journals.  Please comment with how you have used journals in your classroom!






No comments:

Post a Comment