Thursday, November 7, 2013

Interactive Math Journals in Kindergarten

Hi! It’s Robyn and it’s THURSDAY! That means it is FRIDAY tomorrow! I really am not trying to rush the week, but I sure do look forward to the weekends. 
I guess Amy and I had similar thoughts this week! I am also going to talk about journaling, but with the little kinders.  I always used journaling when I taught 5th grade math and science.  I was really missing it and decided that my kindergarteners were ready!  We have done this all week and I think it might just be one of my favorite times during the day.  It is short and to the point, but can really focus on a certain area in math.  Also the kids LOVE it!
I give the students a strip with a different problem to glue down each day.  I start by reading the question aloud and then we discuss.  I model on the SMART Board usually.  Here is an example from our first entry.
We use 1 subject notebooks that I bought for REALLY cheap at the beginning of the school year.  The strip is cut for them and they glue.
IMG_4919IMG_4920
I will post again when we get more into the routines.  We have been working so hard on numbers 0-20 and writing to 40!! They are doing so well!
IMG_4922IMG_4923IMG_4924
Leave a comment and let me know about your adventures with journaling!

No comments:

Post a Comment