Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Welcome! All About Kim

Hello everyone and welcome to our new blogging adventure!  As Robyn mentioned, we are always talking about school and sharing our experiences with each other.  Why not extend our discussions to the digital world as well?  I have spent a total of 11 years in education, serving both as a teacher and a Curriculum Coordinator.  I taught high school math for 6 years, mostly focusing on Algebra 1 and Geometry courses.  I found that although I did not like Geometry while I was in high school, it became one of my favorite courses to teach.  I also served as the Department chair for 5 years, where I focused on professional development within the department, equipment inventory and scheduling courses.  I was honored as my high school's teacher-of-the-year and also the district's teacher-of-the-year in 2007-2008.  It is quite humbling to be recognized by your peers!

While I was teaching high school, I also went back to school to earn a Master's in Administration and Supervision.  After receiving my degree, I moved into a Curriculum Coordinator position.  In that position, I organized and planned all state and local testing.  I also worked within administration requests and policies to create the master schedule for the high school.  One of my favorite roles was mentoring first and second year teachers as they worked to begin their teaching careers.  Since I am very much math-minded, I loved the organization required in scheduling testing and creating master schedules.  I became best friends with Microsoft Excel!

After my husband and I had our first child, I decided to find a job closer to home.  I have been back in the classroom teaching 6th grade math for the past 3 years.  I have really relied on all of my elementary school friends for help in merging my knowledge of high schoolers with some elementary ideas to develop my middle school instructional strategies.  I hope that you enjoy the variety of ideas we will share on this blog!




No comments:

Post a Comment